The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Becky Osorio strengthens her legacy

Becky+Osorio+next+to+bulldog+statue+after+celebrating+her+CIF+qualification.+
Carlee Macias
Becky Osorio next to bulldog statue after celebrating her CIF qualification.

Becky Osorio, sophomore, became League Champion for the Valle Vista League on Nov. 1st. In her freshman year, Osorio became the first in girls cross country history to advance to CIF State. Osorio continues to leave a mark in her career of cross country and track and field by heading to CIF for the second time. 

Cross country is a running sport where runners compete to complete a course. Athletes usually run a 5K, which is 3.1 miles. Long distance runners not only require physical endurance, but mental strength to encourage themselves to keep going. 

“It’s a lot, my family and friends help me a lot through it… my mom and my dad always encourage me to keep going on even though it is hard mentally,” said Osorio.

Osorio’s coaches have greatly assisted in her journey during practices with strategies on how to win, Frank Gonzales and Danny Mercado, the head cross country and track and field coaches. While racing by herself, Osorio found a way to mentally get through tough races. 

“I just step back a little and try to have fun with it… overall it is hard… but it’s good to have fun,” said Osorio. 

Osorio’s running dreams began long before high school as she participated in club, an extracurricular where she went to junior olympics and made All-American. This moment was huge for Osorio because it showed that all her work was worth it and gave her confidence to move forward in the sport.

“It was pretty big for me…I was really happy about it to, and everyone has happy for me so made me happy,” said Osorio 

As Osorio looks to head into CIF for the second time, she is nervous but hopes to make it far. WAs a sophomore, she is already looking into University of Oregon and Northern Arizona University, in hopes of receiving scholarships for cross country in order to continue her journey in running. While only a sophomore, Osorio has already made history and continues her legacy.