Batgirl Barf

BY MEGAN MONGES

Alicia Silverstone is best known for playing the superficial, yet good natured Cher Horowitz in the 90s cult classic Clueless and for playing Batgirl in the 1997 film Batman & Robin. Recently, Silverstone has fallen off the map, not headlining in any films; however, she seems to have reprised her role at Batgirl behind the closed doors of her mansion, by regurgitating food into her 11 month old son Bear Blu’s tiny mouth. Yes, I said regurgitating, as in the way a mother bird chews food then essentially throws it back up into the awaiting mouth of her hungry young. Ahh, did the light bulbs go on and you now suddenly understand my reference to Batgirl?

Silverstone, a vegan for the past 14 years released a video of her performing this unusual feeding routine online to promote a new vegan cookbook she has coming out in the summer. Since airing the video, the clip has been under intense scrutiny from other parents, medical professionals, and late night comedians. While it is not unheard of for parents to bite food like hotdogs into smaller pieces for their children to eat safely, Silverstone’s regurgitation practices have taken the act of feeding a baby to a whole other level, every meal baby Bear receives has been pre chewed by his mother. Silverstone claims that her baby loves when she feeds him, and from the video clip this would prove to be true. Bear Blu smiles and instinctively turns his head in order to catch the chewed up bits of food from his mother’s mouth. Yes, the video and the practice looks disgusting, and it makes one want to toss their own cookies, but my main concern is if this practice is healthy for Silverstone’s baby. Delta Dental, the countries leading dental insurance company tweeted, “Word is Alicia Silverstone chews her food for her child. Don’t follow in her footsteps. You can pass dental disease!” Other medical professionals agreed, stating that bacteria from an adult’s mouth should never be passed to a child’s mouth, as this could lead to an increase in colds, the flu, infections, tooth decay, and cavities.

Personally, I believe that as a mother, Silverstone should be able to feed her child in any way she deems fit. I have no doubt that Silverstone is a loving and caring mother who wants her baby to grow into a healthy, growing boy. I just wish that Silverstone would look into the possible effects this unique feeding habits could have on her son. A woman who is so concerned about the environment and about what goes in her own body should take a good, hard look on what is going in her child’s body. If, Silverstone still believes that this is the best way for her to feed her son, then she should be able to do so without facing abuse from news stations and late night comedians.

So, I guess my point is this, Alicia, in the United States of America, you are allowed to raise your child and feed your child in the best way you see fit, as long as it does not endanger the child’s well being. I just urge you to look at the possible long term effects your feeding habits could have on your son; after all, he will already be dealing with the psychological effects of being named Bear Blu.