The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

How to pack for college

As+the+class+of+2024+reddies+for+graduation%2C+senior+Angelica+Jacabo+shares+some+helpful+tips+for+those+reddying+themselves+for+a+college+experience.+
A’merie Bequer
As the class of 2024 reddies for graduation, senior Angelica Jacabo shares some helpful tips for those reddying themselves for a college experience.

As seniors close off their K-12 chapter, many have decided their next steps, whether it’s to an out-of-state school, a new city or to commute to a local college. Moving out can be challenging or stressful especially if you are the first to do so. Here are some essentials to make the packing experience as stress-free as possible. 

Before you begin to pack, research the weather to ensure you pack the correct attire. Is it cold? Does it rain a lot? Is it hot? Season transition (cold to hot) Highest heat?

To begin packing:

Important documents: Driver’s license or identification card, school ID, and wallet. 

If you choose to take your birth certificate and Social Security card. Please be cautious because it is very valuable information. 

Electronic devices: Cell phone, laptop, tablet, headphones, and chargers for all devices. 

Clothing: clothes and shoes for appropriate weather (rain jacket, umbrella, bathing suit, snow jacket), laundry basket, laundry essentials (detergent, dryer sheets, fabric softener), hangers, lint brush and iron.

Bath and bedding: towels, washcloths, skincare, toiletries, hair products, bed sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and blankets. 

School supplies: binder, notebooks, highlighters, pens, pencils, calendar, calculator, textbooks, backpack. and anything else to help you reach your academic goals.

Extras: medication, first aid kit, storage bins, backup batteries, transportation (bike, car, scooter). Posters, artwork, and decor will make your new place feel like home. 

If you decide to commute for college it’s important to be prepared as well. Economics and government teacher Phuong Hoang shared some advice with her senior class.

“As a commuter student, I knew that I didn’t have easy access to extra clothing or just anything extra that I may need, So I always kept a duffel bag in the back of my trunk, That would include at least an extra pair of pants, an extra shirt, a jacket, and an extra pair of shoes or slippers,” said Hoang.

While the Class of ‘24 prepares for their future it is never a bad idea to be over prepared.