Computers Take the Wheel

Cartoon by Alexis Alvarado

BY MICHAEL ESPINOSA

As the years go by, technology is becoming more and more improved and outsmarting people. Well, what about self driving cars? The only car that seems to be self driving is the Tesla Model X. Tesla came out with the first self driving car called “Autopilot” where it drives hands free and you don’t have to press a gas pedal nor a break. Since Tesla came out with the self driving car, other companies such as Volvo have followed in their footsteps yet failed. A video released about a year ago testing the self driving car, but it failed when losing control and hitting someone that was in front of the car.

“Self driving cars do sound nice, but you never know if something can go wrong in any second and end up in a serious accident,” sophomore Danielle Peña said.

Furthermore, technology is getting smarter and bigger as the years go by. I believe more and more car companies will jump on board with Tesla and create more self driving cars within the near future. To create more self driving cars, it is going to take a lot of time to make sure they will be adequate to drive on roads safely.

Personally, I do not think self driving cars are good ideas because you can never trust a car that is self driving on the road. For example, you can put your car in self driving mode and if your brakes go out you can injure someone badly which will cost a lot of money.

“I think self driving cars would be cool in the future. With technology nowadays, it is outsmarting us people. So I think it will be a good idea for the road,” sophomore Olivia Dias said.