College Preparation: Are High Schools Doing Enough?

Credits to College Humor

BY ALINA OLEA

Around this time of year, seniors are stressing about finishing college applications and juniors are beginning to realize high school is quickly coming to an end. The transition from highschool to college can be a very tough process and many argue there are more ways that schools can assist their students during that transition. Can highschool do more to help students prepare for college?

Applying to college is a tedious process that most times require guidance. Although schools do usually provide a variety of workshops that allow students access to that assistance there are issues that can get in the way. Students in  high school have various activities on their plate. However, there are means of inaccessibility: clubs, sports, jobs, or lack of transportation.

Photo credits to College Humor

An argument some have is the schools making these workshops mandatory. Although some may say it is the students repsodiblity to attend, the opposing argument is that it’s the school’s job to prepare students for college. Holding mandatory college workshops during school hours would be convenient for those students who aren’t able to attend after school. According to Youth Truth Survey, research showed that 87 percent of students wish to attend college. However, 45 percent feel unprepared to start their college journey.

Alumni from West Covina, Nikolas Maclean stated his frustrations when the time came to start applying for college.“As a student, I found myself spending my lunch and breaks in the college center, still feeling a lack of guidance. I spent all my time focused on college and felt overly stressed, it would have been nice to feel if I had support.” Workshops and presentations on how to apply, where to find scholarships, and financial aid assistance are all beneficial topics students should be educated on.  As high school is coming to a close for upperclassmen, some things to take into consideration for future highschool students is whether they feel prepared and supported when it comes to their college aspirations.