The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Minga app falls short of expectations

Students and teachers can create a hall pass and use other tools that the website has to offer. Students have only seven minutes to use the restroom or go to the water fountain and they also need approval from their teacher before they’re able to create a pass.
Alezandro Argueta

Minga is an app that is used by students and teachers. It’s a management platform that the school uses for safety, engagement, and is considered a solution to make school operations such as school IDs, hall passes and digital attendance. Mainly used for its digital hall pass, the tool monitors students and their hallway activity, however not all students and teachers use the Minga platform even though it was implemented into the school’s system two years ago.

Students and teachers believe the platform isn’t beneficial to them and that it hasn’t fixed the issue of students leaving class for a long period of time. Before the Minga pass was introduced to the school, teachers noticed that some students would leave class and only return when class was about to end.

“I think it’s terrible. I think it distracts the teachers from doing their things, because they need to stop and make a pass. But alternatively like the kids just making their own pass, then what’s the point. I’m lucky that I have students that are honest, but they could be outside making their own passes left and right and saying I’m the person that approved it, so it doesn’t make sense,” said English teacher Amanda Vivas.

Vivas uses the Minga platform due to the administration’s instruction, so she has her students create their own digital passes whenever they leave the classroom. 

“Some of my teachers use Minga, like just a couple. Some are strict and some aren’t, I guess. I’d say it’s a little beneficial because some people take advantage of using the bathroom and you can see who is taking a really long time,” said Sabrina Romero.

For a while, administration has been trying to implement Minga, however many students and teachers notice there’s been little to no change even with this platform, which was made to make school management easier.