Situationships: A necessary step?

Aidan Renteria
The emotional distance between ex-partners is awkward.

Many young students dream of having a high-school sweetheart, whether as a quick daydream or something they seriously desire. However, many get stuck in a phase that commonly comes before that: a situationship. 

Situationships are a necessary step in relationship development. A situationship is an “unofficial relationship.” There are benefits of a romantic relationship such as dates and maybe even physical affection while not being a couple. Not all situationships turn into a relationship, but they help students learn the nature of them.

Being friends with someone is different from being romantically intimate with them. It is easier to be affected by someone’s insecurities and flaws when you are dating them. You have to care for their emotions as much as you care for yours. An unhealthy partner will place you in charge of their emotions without you being ready for it. 

Those responsibilities are not as important when it comes to situationships and lets people decide on whether or not they want to stay in a relationship with that person. 

“It was just kind of a learning moment for me, just kind of what not to do and it was just kind of a wake up call,” said senior Daniel Yu.

Even though many fall short and can cause pain, the value of them is undeniable.

“I don’t think I regretted it. I enjoyed the time I had with her,” said sophomore Brandon Lee.

Many individuals may not be ready for a relationship. Being vulnerable with your partner and the demand of commitment is not something everybody is ready for. Many people start dating because they romanticize a relationship and not because they desire the actual person.

There is also less risk of jeopardizing friendships when it comes to situationships. It is common for friendships to develop tension after breakups. Meanwhile, after a failed situationship, due to the lack of commitment, it is easier to maintain a similar relationship with friends.

“I don’t think many people realize how much effort a relationship takes,” said Yu.

Due to the romanticized image of relationships, many people would rather stay in a toxic relationship instead of being single. Situationships offer room for error as it is not official. Situationships are considered  a ¨talking stage,¨  stage where you figure out your emotions, and what you are looking for in a relationship. Situationship allow you to learn and grow in order to prevent long-term conflicts.

“I think I learned something, maybe not something noticeable, but I know I grew,” said Lee.