Competitions make everything more fun

Sophea Rios
Teams wait during intermission for the start of the second Kahoot, the Double Jeopardy section

National English Honor Society (NEHS) held their annual Battle of the Books on Nov. 2 in the MPR. NEHS is focused on promoting literacy through acts of community service and events, such as Battle of the Books. This event is a trivia competition between each of the grade level classes with one teacher or advisor and four students of each participating grade class (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors).

Around 100 students came to support their class and gain extra credit in their English classes. 

“The Battle of the Books is hosted mostly to provide students with an outlet that is both creative and all surrounding academics especially in schools here. Literacy is so important, it’s what we value and to make it fun and to embrace literature, as a whole, is so important,” said NEHS President Aleena Ortega. 

There are no requirements to participate; extensive knowledge of literature needed or a certain grade in English classes are not needed. The questions range from children’s books like “The Hungry Caterpillar” to classics like “The Great Gatsby” to provide a variety of genres to the contestants. Despite not being knowledgeable in all genres of literature, competitors love other aspects that come with Battle of the Books.

“I love my partners and how collaborative we were and at the end of the day, no matter the outcome, it was such a good bonding moment for all the classes,” said sophomore competitor Katelyn Zhou. 

Along with the feelings of unity amongst student competitors, advisors shared similar sentiments about the event.

“It was amazing, I love it. It’s so much fun. The energy is great. The energy, the camaraderie, the competition between all the classes is good,” said junior advisor and math teacher Carolina Gonzalez-Boix.

Battle of the Books succeeded in bringing classes together, providing more knowledge to students, and promoting literacy through the excitement of competing against one another.