WCUSD Allows Seniors to Return to Campus, Alongside Changes and Guidelines

Screenshot from an 8th grade rally video. Photo credits to Bulldog News Network and ASB.

In a groundbreaking decision to slight normality, WCUSD will allow seniors to return to campus the week of April 19. Recently, a phone-interview with Eileen Miranda-Jimenez, president of the school board, clarified more information regarding the reopening. 

Earlier years of Miranda-Jimenez’s career with WCUSD. Photo Credits to Eileen Miranda-Jimenez.

“Since the day we got out almost a year ago, we started planning how to get kids back in school safely.”

Some major changes will include that seniors will only be returning on Wednesdays, following the scheduled time as they would online. 

Furthermore, students are not to be attending any instruction indoors. Rather, ASB is currently planning for seniors to participate in outdoor activities. Reaching out to ASB to discuss the specifications of these activities, they state that more information will be disclosed towards late March. 

All general precautions provided by the Center for Disease Control will proceed to be followed; wearing a mask and social distancing. According to Miranda-Jimenez, sanitizer and wipes will also be available on campus. In addition, seniors will not be in small cohorts. 

While she states that “a good majority” of teachers have already received their first doses or have been fully-vaccinated, students will not be required to be vaccinated to return. 

The decision-making goes far past the board. Miranda-Jimenez explains that working with teacher unions has been vital, especially staff such as janitors and cafeteria-workers, who have been actively working throughout the pandemic. 

“We could not have done it without them.” 

As we come closer to graduation as well, Jimenez states that the date is set for June 3, whether the event is drive-through, or in-person with small cohorts. 

She finalizes the discussion by stating her enthrallment for the upcoming rest of the year, and making the most of it. 

“We’re excited to have students back and seeing what that looks like.”

As this story develops, follow Newsbytes Online for more coverage regarding reopening and graduation.