Varsity football captain Gage Ballum accepts brand deal

Ballum+finishing+a+stretch+with+a+10+yard+sprint+before+a+game+against+Charter+Oak+High+School.+

Natalia Portillo

Ballum finishing a stretch with a 10 yard sprint before a game against Charter Oak High School.

Dominic Sanchez, Staff Writer

Varsity football captain Gage Ballum was offered a position as an official brand athlete for Aftermath Sports on Feb. 6. 

Ballum had an outstanding junior season starting over multiple seniors in all 11 games played last season; he also reached his biggest goal of becoming varsity captain after more than five years of work. 

“My best game was against Charter Oak, playing against one of our toughest opponents knowing that I had to be on my A game,” said Ballum. 

Charter Oak is known for above average talent all around the field. Ballum guarded a future Division 1 athlete Solomon Davis, while only allowing one catch the whole game on a step back screen route. Davis is currently committed to play football at the University of Arizona. 

Ballum is a leader on and off the field, encouraging teammates to “hit the field” and also playing for the club football team “Most Hated” 7 on 7. Club football is where many football players play in the off-season to stay in touch with their athletic ability and where Aftermath Sports met Ballum.

“It started with a handshake and a follow on Instagram then when I got home that day they messaged me asking if I was interested in becoming a sponsored athlete,” said Ballum. 

Aftermath Sports is an online nationwide company that sells sporting socks, compression sleeves, headbands and other athletic apparel fitting the needs of various athletes. 

“I was shocked and thankful for the opportunity that was given to me. I plan to wear only Aftermath gear this upcoming season,” said Ballum.

Ballum made it onto high school sports advocate Mark Herrera’s Class of 2024 San Gabriel Valley early watchlist that encourages coaches to keep an eye out when surveying upcoming college athletes.