When there’s no office staff in sight

Front office having no office staff in sight on Dec. 9, 2022 at 2:39 p.m. as student leaves for a game. Photo creds: Salma Valle

Like many other schools, West Covina High School has its own issues and administration does their best to address them, taking the safety of students into account.

Specific protocols are required to be followed when visitors come in through the attendance office to enter campus grounds for whatever the reason may be.

“We ask for ID and then we print out stickers to give the visitors on campus, so that way anybody or security can know they came through the front office and they’ve been verified who they are,” said Sylvia Sanchez, a school office assistant.

On Oct. 20, 2022 around 9:45 a.m. West Covina High School alumni Jack De La Vega came onto campus to visit a teacher and was not stopped by office staff. 

“As I remember, nobody stopped me when I came in from the front office, nobody stopped me from leaving, I just went out through the door and that was it,” said De La Vega.

For this incident to happen on campus grounds is alarming and disturbing given the fact that in today’s society, the intentions of people are uncertain. It is important for the safety of students that entrances and surrounding areas are monitored, especially the front office. 

“That’s not acceptable, why that happened is not a procedure. Everyone coming through has to check in with Alex, our clinical staff in the front. We have rotations so that when people are at lunch we cover their desk. I always expect that to be covered, so that is an error and shouldn’t be happening,” said Principal Dr. Charles Park.

Students, mostly ones who have a free sixth period, report that when entering or leaving the attendance office there is often no one at the front desk. 

“If the office lady is there then she’ll check before we walk out the door, but if nobody is there then we just walk out,” said Senior Ciara Valadez, who has a free sixth period.

When places like the front office are not monitored, especially when the door is always unlocked, people who could potentially be dangerous could enter school grounds, putting students, staff, and administration in danger. 

“Whoever I see or deal with, I always validate that, so I know the front office gets busy at times or someone steps away they may have gone through, but I’m unaware of that,” said Sanchez regarding De La Vega’s entry to campus.

In addition to people coming onto school grounds, there are some students who leave during school hours because T-building gates are not being locked from the inside in case of emergencies.

“The push gates push out for a reason, if there’s a fire it’s fire code,” said Park.

With there only being six campus security and five administrators, there would potentially only be 11 staff out in the quad to monitor for safety; it isn’t nearly enough in comparison to the 1,900 students on campus. According to Park, in terms of staffing the school is currently not looking into getting more campus security; however, there is now more surveillance around campus.

In addition to the 16 cameras on campus, “We installed seven new cameras that point at the entry of every bathroom,” said Park.

Campus security and Alex Morris, declined to interview for statements.