Alumni Spotlight: Daniel Nieblas

Nieblas (right) featured at his Booksoup’s reading night in January.

BY VIVIAN GOMEZ

West Covina prepares Bulldogs for success, and that is exactly what alumni Daniel Nieblas has achieved. Part of the 2010 graduating class, Nieblas’ accomplishments go farther than what is expected; writing his own book. Titled “My Battle with Terrorism”, Nieblas reads further into the reason to understand why middle-class (or relatively middle-class) people decide to support or join global terrorist groups. Nieblas’ work began shortly after the Paris attacks occurred in November 2015, when a series of coordinated attacks occurred following multiple mass shootings and suicide bombings that resulted in around 130 fatalities and left hundreds more injured. However, all is based completely upon his years of research and a passion for investigative reporting, which inspired him to, “create a literary document that represented a completely different reality from the one we see on Facebook… to tell a story that signified a larger, quieter reality; the whole iceberg on the issue of global terrorism”. Furthermore, his research was strenuous, stating, “Everyday for two years I read at least two to five articles from The New Yorker, and read books by legendary investigative reporters like Bob Woodward and Lawrence Wright.” Nieblas speaks of his own experience when a terrorist almost successfully attacked the Disneyland Resort in 2016, and in hopes to attempt to protect or save him as a source of the Anaheim Gazette, almost wound up dead as well, and why the story like his happens everyday outside of news coverage.

Nieblas’ book on the shelves of Booksoup’s location in Los Angeles.

Alongside his career, starting it at all was inspired by the school newspaper, or Newsbytes. Being a reporter for the majority of his years, his passion for journalism ignited as means to “search for the truth”, or to find the reality to what is not covered in the media. This is vital in modern-day journalism, where people risk their lives everyday, reporting on the truth that many people do not prefer to hear. In addition to his aforementioned motivation, he also mentions Journalism adviser Ted Moser as his inspiration to continue forth with investigative writing.

I still have imagined conversations about politics and opinions… I always felt a great amount of freedom as a student wanting to express myself, while also learning who I was as an individual,” Nieblas said. The skills and freedom of expression taught to him by Moser truly allowed Nieblas to shape his own perspective into his writing, and is all the more reason he wrote his book at all.

Henceforth, Nieblas has already achieved much with his book, like receiving the #2 spot on Booksoups’ Best Sellers List. “Once I saw the actual list I thought, ‘Oh wait, did they just goof up and put the wrong Daniel on the list?’ It was genuinely hard to believe at every turn!” Nieblas said.

Ultimately, he has bigger plans coming in means of “My Battle with Terrorism”. Alongside his future Amazon publication, he also has planned events to be featured in, such as the Fullerton Arts Festival, Indie Author Day for Book Fairies, Artshare in Downtown, Los Angeles, and many more. Daniel Nieblas is one of the valued alumni who represent the ambition of West Covina, and where will permanently be the origin of his success. As of Jan 27, his best-selling book has been published on Amazon and can be ordered here.