‘Student Vendors’: Good in Theory, Difficult in Practice

Photo taken by Zander Reyes

BY CHLOE BORJA

Every high school student is probably familiar with the several opportunities on campus to spend a few dollars. To name a few, these include the foods trucks that stop by, the ice cream truck after school, the ASB store, approved fundraisers, food fairs, and even student vendors. Although selling desirable snacks makes very little profit, the cumulative amount made by student vendors and other unapproved sellers massively impacts the campus as a whole by cutting into potential funds. Thus, it seems necessary for unapproved vending to have repercussions and be strongly discouraged.

ASB raises money in a variety of ways, the most familiar being through the student store, after school snacks, and ASB cards. Additionally, the ongoing homecoming ticket sales generate funds for both the dance and future events. According to Samantha Estrada, the Secretary of Public Relations, the money made “is used to pay for events, supplies, sports officials, recognition” and more. Therese Florido, the Secretary of Clubs, adds that “school events such as homecoming and rallies” are some of the more prominent that receive ASB funding. “Our finance team makes a budget for the school year that shows how much money will be given to different accounts”, Estrada continues.

Student vending is a highly debated idea on campus that has its pros and cons. The school currently prohibits the sale of unauthorized snacks on campus. Cartoon by Chloe Borja

It is advised not to purchase from vendors on campus other than those approved by the school. Estrada argues that if “many people buy from other sources… the money will ”. By choosing to buy from approved organizations, funding could be used to support rallies, events, and more activities that benefit WCHS as a whole.

One may argue that the selections are not plentiful. With health concerns still a recurring topic, products during the school day are always limited to healthier alternatives, including baked chips. However, once the school day ends, the ASB store sells more favorable and attractive snacks. Additionally, it is ensured that the money raised will return to the students of West Covina High School.

Don’t get me wrong, it is not entirely wrong to buy from friends or other vendors that stop by, including the ice cream truck. Rather, think of these options as alternatives for when the ASB store is unavailable.