Is Online Shaming Preventing People from Being Able to Express Themselves Freely?

BY RAYLENE FLORES

Online shaming and cyber-bullying have appeared since social media first came out. The practice of humiliating someone online in private chat rooms and online messaging platforms for attention or amusement has discouraged many people from posting.

In 1999, social media, or AOL instant messaging, made it’s first appearance enabling users to add friends with their own personal profile. However, this also shined light to cyber-bullying and online shaming. Each new popular addition to the growing media allowed there to be more and more opportunities for online humiliation.

Cyberbullying is well known and commonly featured in popular movies, including “Cyberbully” and “The Duff”, to display how the victims are affected. Cyberbullying can affect anyone from your friends, to your neighbors, classmates, and even you. Image result for online shaming clipart

Like many others, West Covina High School does not tolerate cyber-bullying and teaches students that participating in it is not acceptable. Saray Tapia, a freshman who attends West Covina, shares “that your self-esteem can be greatly affected by the rude and negative comments”, stressing that, “No one should experience it.” Another freshman, Agatha Tampubolon believes people “should not force others to feel all of their insecurities.

Overall, cyberbullying can lower someone’s confidence, and eventually make them feel too uncomfortable to express their feelings without being judged.