The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Underclassmen have great potential to affect school culture

%E2%80%9CWhen+I+was+lifting+weights+in+bodybuilding+I+couldnt+get+the+form+right+till+a+senior+in+my+group+showed+me+how+to+do+it%2C%E2%80%9D+said+sophomore+Sebastian+Cisneros.+
Raymond Jaramillo
“When I was lifting weights in bodybuilding I couldn’t get the form right till a senior in my group showed me how to do it,” said sophomore Sebastian Cisneros.

Seniors are thought of highly, seen as super important in shaping the culture at school. As seniors graduate and juniors take over, underclassmen have a chance to change the school’s culture. Due to this, upperclassmen tend to disregard what freshmen and sophomores do or say, though they can make a big difference.

Freshmen and sophomores, being new to the school bring new ideas, energy, and excitement. It’s also important to keep in mind, however,that they tend to be more susceptible to peer pressure. One big issue about freshmen and sophomores is that they’re often influenced by their friends. They’re still figuring out how to fit in and be cool. But sometimes, trying to be cool can mean doing things that aren’t great. That’s why schools need to create a positive environment where freshmen and sophomores feel supported and encouraged to make good choices.

Also, what seniors do sets the tone for everyone else on campus. If they’re respectful and hardworking it makes the whole school better. But if they’re not, it can make things harder for everyone. Teachers and school leaders can help freshmen and sophomores by giving them chances to get involved, learn new skills, and make a positive impact.

It’s also really important for freshmen and sophomores to be open-minded and accepting of others. Everyone is different, and that’s what makes school interesting. By being kind and respectful to others, seniors can help make everyone feel welcome and included. The senior class plays a big role in influencing underclassmen who have plenty of responsibility to handle in school.

In school, seniors are like big influencers. They leave a mark that lasts even after they graduate. They have a big impact on how younger students behave and think, and they shape what the school is like.

“One way I influenced an underclassmen was by showing a freshman in my culinary class how to turn on the portable stoves,” Daniel Zelaya. 

“One way I influenced an underclassmen was by showing a freshman in my culinary class how to turn on the portable stoves,” said Daniel Zelaya. (Raymond Jaramillo)

They are somewhat like role models for younger students. They’ve been through a lot during their time in school and they’ve learned plenty of valuable lessons along the way. So, when underclassmen see what seniors do, they get an idea of what’s cool and what’s not.

Another way seniors influence underclassmen is by showing them what the school stands for. They keep up traditions and set the bar high for things like grades, sports, and community service. When underclassmen see seniors doing well, they feel inspired to do well too.

Upperclassmen also help younger students by being mentors. They share their experiences and offer advice to underclassmen who are trying to figure things out. Whether it’s through official programs or just chatting in the hallway, seniors give underclassmen a sense of support and understanding.

But being a senior comes with a big responsibility. Everything seniors say and do can have a big impact on underclassmen. So, it’s important for seniors to be role models by being honest, kind, and respectful to everyone around them.

Beyond just being examples, seniors also inspire underclassmen to dream big. When underclassmen see seniors achieving their goals, they feel motivated to chase their own dreams. The seniors show that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.

They also play a key role in making sure everyone feels included and welcomed at school. By reaching out to underclassmen and being friendly, seniors help build a strong sense of community that brings everyone together.

In the end, seniors leave a lasting impression on underclassmen that goes beyond just graduation day. They shape the way underclassmen see the world, themselves, and their school. By being role models, mentors, and friends, seniors pave the way for a brighter future and a more united school community.

View Comments (1)