Alumnus spotlight: Andrew Vasquez

Photo courtesy of Andrew Vasquez
Vasquez performs at Renaissance’s West Cochella March 24, 2023 in the T-Plaza. This annual event allows students to express their musical talents and passions.

Young adults across the country graduate high school each year; life after high school is different compared to what was known for the first 17- 18 years of life. Some had the routine of waking up to go to school then practice before going home, providing stability through a routine. The Class of 2023 has had over half a year to begin laying the foundation of their adult life.  Where is the Class of ‘23 now and what has changed since June?

Alumnus Andrew Vasquez graduated last year as a part of ASB, wrestling, and football. During his freshman year Vasquez formed his own band Irrationality with fellow Class of ‘23 alumni Bianca Cambros and Jacob Vasquez that went on to perform at West Cochella, Bulldog Idol, and select campus football games. West Cochella, an event hosted by Renaissance, brings students out of their shell. They played multiple songs from the Irrationality portfolio and were the only performers to urge their audience to move away from the seats and dance in front of the stage. 

Although Irrationality has since disbanded, Vasquez now plays for a Pomona based local band Funds for Jimmy while also pursuing a solo music side project.

“On the way out of high school I was scared I would stop doing music or that I wouldn’t pursue it but I’m still constantly working on my craft and hoping to create something. Jan. 5, I released my debut single ‘Colors,’” said Vasquez.

Vasquez believed that after graduating high school, many are unsure of what their next major life step would be.

“I was also scared life would get harder after graduating but I kinda expected that,” said Vasquez. 

While Vasquez pursues his music career he is also a full-time college student, majoring in music education at Citrus College and looking to transfer to university in two years. While attending college, balancing being in a band and managing his own music career, Vasquez is figuring out life one step at a time.

“On the way out of high school I was scared I would stop doing music or that I wouldn’t pursue it but I’m still constantly working on my craft and hoping to create something. Jan. 5, I released my debut single ‘Colors,’” said Vasquez. Photo courtesy of Andrew Vasquez.

“Since graduation I think I’ve found myself wanting to be more responsible and ambitious, not only for my future but hopefully to give my future family a good life as well,” said Vasquez.  

Vasquez wanted to leave his mark on campus with music. Students recently showed their support by reposting his newly released  song “Colors” to their Instagram. Graduating high school has pushed Vasquez into the unknown of adulthood, but has also provided him new opportunities and hopefully more to come.