The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Certified Loverboy vs. Mr. Morale: Breaking down the Drake and Kendrick discourse

Adam Otero

A recent trending online dispute between rappers Kendrick Lamar and Drake began Mar. 22 when rapper Metro Boomin released his song “Like That” featuring Lamar In this song, Lamar refers to J.cole, Drake, and himself as the “big three” of this generation of rappers. In “Like That” Lamar’s main message and the verse that opened up the longtime feud between him and Drake was the line, “Motherf### the big three, it’s just big me.” 

On Apr. 19, Drake dropped the song “Push Ups” responding to Lamar’s diss, as well as dissing artists Rick Ross, Future, The Weeknd, and Metro Boomin. Drake’s verse directed towards Lamar was “Pipsqueak, pipe down. You ain’t in no big three, SZA got you wiped, Travis got you wiped down, Savage got you wiped down.” Drake implied that SZA,Travis Scott, and 21 Savage are better than Lamar and bigger in the music industry. 

Following this song, Lamar replied with the song “Euphoria” that dropped Apr. 20. The title was chosen because of the HBO show “Euphoria” that Drake produced. In Lamar’s verses, he attacked Drake’s parenting with a verse “I got a son to raise, but I can see you know nothin’ bout that.” He also attacked Drake’s rumored plastic surgery with the lines, “Didn’t tell ‘em where you get your abs from”. Overall his message to Drake came with hatred. 

“Euphoria” went viral on YouTube and Tik Tok. The main verse to Drake in “Euphoria” is “I hate the way that you walk, the way that you talk. I hate the way that you dress. I hate the way that you sneak diss, if I catch flight, it’s gon’ be direct”. 

Days after “Euphoria”, Lamar dropped “6:16 in LA” on  May 3. In this, Lamar claimed to have people working inside Drake’s label: “Have you ever thought that OVO was working for me,?” also adding “Everyone inside your team is whispering that you deserve it.” 

These lyrics state that he has the inside on Drake’s label and business. Drake quickly replied with the song “Family Matters” which dropped the very same day. This was an eight-minute track where Drake replied to and indicated that Lamar’s child was really fathered by his manager, Dave Free. 

Drake went on to talk about Lamar’s relationship with Whitney Alford with lyrics like “You the Black messiah wifing up a mixed queen and hit vanilla cream to help out with your self-esteem” and later says “When you put your hands on your girl, is it self-defense ‘cause she’s bigger than you?” taking a shot at his size as well.

The next day Lamar dropped “Meet the Grahams”where Lamar apologized to Drake’s son Adonis for Drake being his father. It starts with “Dear Adonis, I’m sorry that that man is your father, let me be honest. It takes a man to be a man, your dad is not responsive” right after that Lamar throws in alleged rumors that Drake has a secret eleven-year-old daughter that he is hiding: “Dear baby girl, I’m sorry that your father is not active inside your world. He doesn’t commit too much, but his music,yeah, that’s for sure.” 

Not even 24 hours later Lamar dropped “Not Like Us” where  he made serious accusations against Drake with lyrics like “Certified Lover Boy, certified pedophiles,” and also says “Tryna strike a chord and it’s probably A-minor.” In this song, he attacked Drake and accused him of being a pedophile. 

The next day Drake dropped the song “The Heart Part 6” where the main point was feeding Lamar false information about his alleged fake daughter. Drake addressed it by saying “You gotta learn to fact check things and be less impatient”. 

While fans await Lamar’s reply, people seem to have gravitated towards Lamar’s side so as of right now it’s on Lamar and his next move.