New Starbucks rewards program leaves customers furious: What to know

Graphic credits: Kassandra Aguirre

Kassandra Aguirre, Assistant Editor

Starbucks is one of the most beloved coffee franchises in America, serving everything from iced matcha green tea lattes to espresso shot drinks. Similar to other companies, Starbucks offers customers free items through the use of its Star Rewards program. To join the program, Starbucks customers only need to download the app and create a free account. The app’s functions vary from allowing users to order digitally for faster pick up, to accessibility to their Star Rewards program, ultimately creating a more efficient and pleasing experience for the customer. 

The rewards program uses “stars” as its currency, and can be earned by scanning an in-app QR code, which saves them to the selected account. Every dollar spent equates to a star, with the expectation of earning double if the customer orders with a starbucks card. Accumulating over time, items such as bakery foods and brewed hot coffee become free at only 50 stars. 

Customers were fond of the low-cost rewards until recently when Starbucks frequenters were blindsided with a message sent out on the app informing them that beginning February 13 a whole new tier system would be implemented. Replacing the previous 25, 50,150 ,200 and 400 Stars is a more stingy system of 25, 100, 200, 300, and 400 star tiers. With almost all tiers seeing a 25% increase, people are upset with the company’s abrupt change.

“I just don’t understand why they would be so quiet about it, and why they didn’t say why in the announcement,” freshman and Starbucks frequenter Jessica Aguirre said.

People were upset and quickly took to the Internet to vent their frustrations.

A screenshot from Twitter user BiancaCrawford shows the official announcement shared with Starbucks rewards users. According to Starbuck’s statement, users of the star rewards program forfeit “any disputes between you and us (Starbucks)”, subsequently yielding their right to a trial by jury or taking any “consolidated proceedings” against the company. 

“I assumed it was this way before, but they are definitely on the accountability-free cooperation movement,” said Twitter user Ian Street describing his and many others’ increasing dissatisfaction with Starbucks. “Just you against their stable of lawyers.”

With everything about the new update from the higher prices to the offputting terms and conditions changes unsettling people, the company is urging customers to do their research and understand that all changes made were necessary. 

According to Starbucks customer care specialist Bryan H, who due to his job position was unable to give his last name, creating new tiers was a decision made by the company in response to an increase in the costs of their ingredients: in other words, a changing economy required Starbucks to adjust to maintain profit.

Graphic Credit: Kassandra Aguirre

“We continually monitor the health of Starbucks Rewards and occasionally need to make changes to meet the changing needs of our members…We continually want to update the Starbucks Rewards program so we’re still able to deliver some of the benefits members know and love,” Bryan H shared. 

Another important note about the new update is that no new changes are going to be implemented with the expiration dates. Due to people forgetting to use their accounts when buying from Starbucks, the company decided it best to add expiration dates to encourage customers to participate. All stars have six months starting the month after obtained before expiration and the company sends users notifications to ensure they don’t forget.

An additional concern regarding the update is the backlash baristas will have to endure. With customers’ dissatisfaction, baristas and other staff end up on the short end of the stick taking the onslaught of harassment despite not influencing the changes. 

“We cannot avoid misunderstanding with some customers about the changes we will make. And probably there will be some very upset with baristas about this, even though they do not have control over the situation. However, they can approach the store manager to speak with any customers in case situations like this happen,” Bryan H said. 

With Starbucks kicking into the new year with an unfavorable public opinion, as a representative of Starbucks Bryan H hopes customers will remain understanding and continue to enjoy all the delicious drinks and urban atmosphere they have to offer despite the changes.