Bulldog Queens fight for the crown

Salma Valle and Andres Luzania, Staff Writers

The return of students comes with the tradition of events such as Queens of Cameron,  one of the most awaited volleyball games of the year has finally arrived. 

Last night, Bulldogs faced the South Hills Huskies and played an all level-game in a competitive night full of emotion. According to Head Coach Fred Nash, the early stages of this tradition began when both schools first opened, creating a rivalry fighting for the title.  

“What I’m most excited about this year’s game is the atmosphere and seeing the girls play with their hearts. We are trying to get the crown back, which is highly important right now,” Nash stated.

Coach Nash has been a part of WCHS Volleyball team for four years and according to his experience with the team, the dynamic this year is different to previous years as they have been training harder than ever before. 

“We have many young ladies, three freshmen on the team, super young team, but I feel good, coming to practice everyday and focused. For me personally, we’re ready,” continued Nash.

Before the game, Senior Captain Ximena Galindo shared how she felt going to her last Queens of Cameron game and how the game is important to West Covina High School culture.

“I am very excited to play with such emotion and show our bulldogs a night to remember. The biggest challenge is going to be maintaining our energy and not being so hard on ourselves and planning each set point by point,” Galindo said.

The Varsity team lined up before the start of the game. Photo credit: Salma Valle

“Queens of Cameron is an important tradition at WCHS. It has been a part of our culture as we compete head to head with South hills. The energy the crowd brings is really part of what makes Queens of Cameron” continued Galindo.

Queens of Cameron ended with freshmen/ sophomores taking home a victory with a score of 25-23; 25-21. JV finished with a 18-25; 14-25. 

Varsity’s match concluded with a score of 21-25, 17-25, and 16-25. Showing an overall attempt and match from Lady Bulldogs.

Freshmen’ Linh Diep, Isabella Gonzalez, and Kalea Sunabe shared their point of view being the newest members on the team.

Freshmen Isabella Gonzalez 27, Kalea Sunabe 31, Linh Diep 5. photo credit: Andres Luzania

“It feels good playing on the varsity team and being able to have the same skill, it is also very scary starting at such a high level,” said Gonzalez.

Senior Varsity player Erendira Zepeda expressed her thoughts after the match and what to expect for the rest of this season.

“The biggest challenge tonight was their outside hitter, but from here on out we know we have to be more aggressive and push our play,” said Zepeda.

The next game against South Hills is tomorrow for Kings of Cameron, here at Thyberg Field.