May Mental Health Become a Priority

Wellness Center “Quieter Corner” is decorated with inspirational quotes and comfortable couches. The program also offers activities such as coloring and anxiety pop its to reassess during stressful times.
Aleena Ortega

Mental Health Awareness Month is celebrated in May, acknowledging the struggles of coping with depression or anxiety and highlighting the importance of prioritizing mental well-being. In an attempt to support students as they undergo challenges in their day to day lives, the school actively provides support systems to students such as the wellness center. 

The Wellness Program is a completely anonymous and optional, all-inclusive mental health service for students on campus. Senior Wellness President, Maya Reyes spoke on the significance of student mental health and shared how the Wellness Center can assist students facing hard times free of judgment. 

“Mental health is not only being aware of yourself mentally and physically but knowing that you do have people around you to help…The Wellness Center is always there. We have peer counseling and just a quiet corner. But we also have a counselor on campus, Ms. Megan, if you want to talk to an adult,” said Reyes.

Throughout the year, the Wellness program works to promote a healthy mindset for students. One way they’ve set out to do so is by posting encouraging messages on their Instagram page weekly. Wellness Vice President and senior, Daniel Yu creates these posts to motivate students and shares his experience in handling his own mental health while being a scholar. 

“It’s all about balance. Balancing messing around with kind of taking things seriously… It’s important to treat yourself and to remember that you are a person like worth taking care of. Yu said. 

Speaking with trusted adults on campus has also been an outlet for many students who are struggling to seek support. Counselor Lauren Brandt explained how counseling has changed over the last 17 years becoming much more social and emotional. 

“While it is harder, it’s more rewarding because mental health really effects everything. Helping kids learn coping skills and resilience are hopefully things that will help them be successful in high school and beyond.  Personally as a counselor I try to connect  with my students on their level, taking time to listen and empathize with students to support them,” said Brandt. 

Prioritizing mental health is not just important in May, but all year long. For students struggling with mental health, there are countless resources and support found on campus. If you are in need of someone to talk to or simply need a space to relax, contact office counselors or visit the Wellness Center located in room K1 available here to support you.