Who is Yen Edwards Benton?

+Yen+Edwards+Benton+captures+the+final+game+during+the+schools+annual+dodgeball+tournament+before+LP+Warriors+were+crowned+victorious+on+Apr.+18+in+the+gym.%0A
Gage Ballum
Yen Edwards Benton captures the final game during the school’s annual dodgeball tournament before LP Warriors were crowned victorious on Apr. 18 in the gym.

Seen at various school events, a single photographer with a Nikon Mirror Z6ii works the campus year after year. Photographer Yen Edwards Benton has been taking photos for the school since 2019. Benton has been into photography since she was six years old as her grandfather owned a photoshop business. After visiting her grandfather every weekend, Benton developed interest in photography and wished to follow his footsteps.  After being surrounded by photography developed an interest and wished to follow his footsteps. She has been taking photos for 30 years and loves doing it in her free time and as a profession as well. 

“I love taking pictures for my friends, family and WCHS,” said Benton.

As a stay at home mother, once her children graduated from high school she wanted to keep herself busy. Benton then decided to start taking pictures for the school, mainly for sports events and games. 

“She really likes taking pictures of football because the boys really appreciate her,” said husband Rich Benton. 

“I really like Yen’s pictures because of just how good they come out and she’s just a nice sweet lady,” said senior Miles Reid. 

One out of many photos Yen takes during Friday Night Lights for football Oct. 22, 2023 at Claremont High School Photo taken by Yen Edwards Benton.

Although Benton enjoys taking pictures of all sports, her favorites to take pictures of are football, basketball, baseball, water polo and volleyball. Benton has expanded from this and now covers graduation. 

“Yen is as big a part of bulldog athletics as anyone, she is loyal, hardworking and loves WCHS. Sometimes there are two or three of her, she is everywhere and we love her,” said Varsity Football Coach Mike Maggiore. 

Benton’s photography has become a staple for the school and the impact she’s made taking pictures earned her the admiration of people from all over campus community from students to faculty. Even those who don’t know Benton personally are familiar with her work, her dedication making her a cherished part of the local community. Benton’s work can be viewed on Facebook under Yen Edwards Benton.