Top 5 highest grossing movies of 2023

A’merie Bequer

Film in 2023 consisted of a remarkable blend of genres, styles and narratives. Top films not only entertained, but also provoked thought, challenged conventions and pushed the boundaries of what cinema can achieve. According to Box Office Mojo by IMDbPro, the top highest grossing movies of 2023 are “Barbie,” “The Super Mario Bros Movie,” “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” and “Oppenheimer.” 

Barbie 

According to film website Box Office Pro, the top movie of 2023, Barbie, was released on July 21, 2023, with a net gross of $636,225,983, based on the infamous Barbie dolls, playing in theaters and eventually streaming services. In this movie, Barbie embarks on an adventure, discovering the power of friendship, self-discovery, and embracing individuality, all wrapped in a blend of fantasy and fun. Barbie includes an award winning cast of Margot Robbie starring as Barbie, Ryan Gosling starring as Ken, America Ferrera starring as Gloria and Kate Mckinnon starring as Weird Barbie. 

The film takes viewers into the imaginary world of Barbie land, a land of pink houses, cars and women at the top of society. While it seemed like heaven, Barbie noticed changes in herself and had fallen to the ideals society has on women. Having a visit with Weird Barbie, Barbie needs to go to the real world to find who plays with her. Ken decides to adventure out with Barbie and they successfully find her, so they return to Barbie land to find Barbie not at the top of society but rather Ken’s. When Barbie restores Barbie Land to the way it was she decides to live in the real world with her new friends. 

“I really liked the actors like Margot Robbie, Emma Mackey, and Ryan Gosling and the overall message they were trying to portray. I also liked the music, I love musicals so it made me like Barbie even more,” said senior Amy Torres-Aguilar.

As a comedy, the film includes a great overall message that is an inspiration to its viewers. 

Super Mario Bros.

In Sep. 2021 the cast of Super Mario Bros. was announced by Nintendo and eventually released on April 5, 2023 with a total gross $574,934,330. Currently streaming on Netflix, the first animated movie based on the popular video game that came out in 1985. The film stars the video game characters Mario and Luigi voiced by Chris Pratt and Charlie Day alongside them is Princess Peach and Bowser voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy and Jack Black.

A’merie Bequer

“Super Mario Bros” begins with brothers Mario and Luigi as Brooklyn plumbers. When his brother gets captured by Bowser, Mario doesn’t hesitate to travel to the mushroom kingdom accompanied by friends Princess Peach and Toad in hopes of rescuing his brother and saving the world from Bowers reign. 

“I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it… I liked the meaning behind it…I liked the Bowser part, I was laughing with my family,” said senior Logan Maranan.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse  

Released on June 2, 2023, with a net gross of $381,311,319. Currently streaming on Netflix and in theaters is a sequel to “Spider-man: Into the Spider Verse” released in 2018. The film brought back its cast of Shameik Moore as Miles Morales, Hailee Steinfeld as Gwen Stacy and Jack Johnson as Peter Parker.

A’merie Bequer

With a timeline of seven months later, Miles Morales is seen alone without his spidey friends and slowly falling behind in school. Miles Morales gets a visit from his old friend Gwen Stacy. They both adventure out into the multiverse and meet a new team of spider-people. With disapproval in joining them, they face off against a powerful villain the spot. When Miles and Gwen try to defeat the villain he also tries to save his father and the multiverse.

“It was a good movie but it wasn’t what I expected, there were a lot of parts throughout the movie where I was like “that was pretty anticlimactic,” said junior Amanda Placencia. 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

After six years, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was released on May 5, 2023 with a net gross of $358,995,815. Currently the third film in the film franchise. The movie brought back its famous characters and had a promising soundtrack just like its other films. A sci-fi/adventure film that included a comedic relief, makes its audience learn from their past and the ideals of friendship. 

A’merie Bequer

The film begins with main character and leader of the Guardians Peter Quill, played by Chris Pratt, facing the loss of Gamora, friend and lover in the films played by Zoe Saldaña. Through this depressing state Quill must rally his team in order to save the universe and one of his own. The team infiltrates Orgo Corp to save their friend who was captured. While horrific truths of their past they must come to terms with it and move forward. In the end the team bands together to battle the High Evolutionary. 

“Best Marvel movie of the year…I liked the relationships between the friends, they were like family,” said junior Steven Julio.

Oppenheimer 

Released on July 21, 2023, the film is set during World War ll and shares the true events of J. Robert Oppenheimer, played by award winning actor Cillian Murphy, appointed to work on the top-secret Manhattan Project. Alongside Murphy are actors Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr. Matt Damon and Florence Pugh. 

While the film is set at three hours it captivated viewers in telling the true story of Oppenheimer. In the film Oppenheimer is appointed to work on the top-secret Manhattan Project. His team spent years developing and designing the first atomic bomb that came to completion on July 16, 1945. The film closely examines the early years of Oppenheimer’s involvement with nuclear physics and then following his advocacy for nuclear weapons.

A’merie Bequer

“The story itself was phenomenal…a little long but I learned a lot through the movie. I learned more about the personal stories behind what I’ve already learned in history classes,” said English teacher Lucie Pelleriti. 

From the imaginative world of “Barbie” to the multiverse adventure of “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” and the nostalgic journey of “Super Mario Bros,” each movie offered something unique. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and “Oppenheimer” delved into deeper themes of friendship, loss, and historical significance, leaving a lasting impact on viewers. 

With performances and compelling storytelling, 2023 proved to be a remarkable year for cinema, offering entertainment that resonated with audiences of all ages.