The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Hispanic culture unites diverse student body for a night of celebration

Ballet+Folkloric%C3%B3+de+Internacional+dance+group+pose+for+applause+after+a+performance+of+traditional+Hispanic+ballet.+
Adal Gutierrez
Ballet Folkloricó de Internacional dance group pose for applause after a performance of traditional Hispanic ballet.

Spanish Honors Society held their annual Noche Hispana festival celebrating Hispanic culture and WCHS campus diverse community inside Bulldog Cafe last Friday. Noche Hispana shares Hispanic traditions, games, music and the unparalleled passion of the Latino people. 

The night was eventful with students, parents and staff from all different ethnic backgrounds coming together to glimpse the art, entertainment and atmosphere that the Hispanic people have created and cherished for generations.

Catering the event was junior Matthew Campos’ family owned Taqueria de Campos & Catering that served tacos, quesadillas, horchata, and salsas. Campos shared his love for his Hispanic heritage by providing others with the Mexican foods he himself loves most.

Taqueria de Campos offers a selection of meats on any of their dishes served with an optional side of mexican rice and beans. (Adal Gutierrez)

“It’s really cool to learn about new languages and cultures. We do business all over the place, so I’ve helped kids speak some Spanish and the last kid I taught is now completely fluent in Spanish,” said Campos.

Throughout the night, traditional performances of Hispanic dances included folklore dances and flamenco, captured the audience’s attention and awe. The dance performances were followed by the band Seleccion Privada who played live music and popular party songs such as “La Chona.”

Students, staff and parents all dance along to Seleccion Privada’s performance of “La Chona.” (Adal Gutierrez)

Joshua Gonzalez, member of Seleccion Privada, expressed how although he felt nervous to perform, he had a great experience watching people dance and was thankful for Mrs. Espinoza, director of the Spanish Honors Society, giving him the opportunity. 

“I wouldn’t want to be any other ethnicity than hispanic, I love our culture and our people,” said Gonzalez.

Senior Andrea Salazar, president of the Spanish Honor Society, described how joining the Spanish Honor Society was the right fit for her. Being born in Mexico facilitated Salazar’s love for her culture and defined her passion to be a part of the hispanic culture at school.

“My culture to me has always been super important. Coming here was scary but seeing so many people come together to celebrate such a beautiful culture really made me feel like I belong,” said Salazar.

“With everything that we do we use it to celebrate hispanic culture, and where we come from celebrating who we are. We have such a diverse student body it’s nice to take a moment to just appreciate where we come from and share what our culture is with others,” said Salazar.

WCHS students guide a dizzy Damien Hernandez to pin the tail on the donkey while blindfolded. (Adal Gutierrez)