Women in STEM club

Front view of illustration highlighting different women in STEM as they pursued fields with advancement and mindfulness. Photo by Nevertheless Podcast

Flor Guerrero, Staff Writer

In the past century women have progressively made steps in representational STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Following efforts that encourage young girls to pursue STEM in schools, a new club created last school year – Women in STEM, brings that empowerment.

Senior Katlynn Thai, founder and president of Women in Stem, created the club alongside fellow officers Angeliza Ratana, Alexia Chhin, Phyllis Kwok, and Jiali Chen where they aim to introduce women to traditionally male-dominated STEM fields.

The Women in STEM club strategizes for an increase in awareness of women’s potential, as well as ensuring girls can recognize their own, building confidence and combating perceptions of incapability. 

As the club strives to empower women in these fields, it also provides a space where they can display their capability, knowledge, skill sets and various ideas to engineering businesses.

The club organizes panels where women with certified STEM careers such as doctors, engineers and scientists come talk to the group about their careers. These connections are unique to their club and provide valuable insight to female students who are interested in pursuing STEM careers.

Alongside attending panels, the club attends research conventions and visits Pasadena City College where Science Saturdays, informational gatherings of various STEM fields, are held.

Women in STEM aspires to give females access to resources and support if they’re interested in exploring STEM fields as a career.

Thai shares an additional piece of advice to young women.

“Don’t be afraid to join the STEM fields, just because, like, it’s mainly male dominated, if you put your mind to it, and work hard, you can do it.”

Annie Tam, advisor of Women in STEM club on campus, desires to help those students pursue their goals and continue a career in STEM. Tam has been supportive of the club’s efforts with recruiting more members and promoting STEM education among women. As the advisor, Tam has seen the club’s start and hopes to see it continue to thrive.

“You can do it, you can do anything you put your mind to, even if it may sound scary, may look scary,” Tam said.