Rain stops in time for our annual 1609 event

Melanie Garduno

Culinary arts students making maple bacon pancake samples for attendees of 1609.

Natalie Flores and Melanie Garduno

The school hosted their annual open house, 1609 yesterday on March 16. This annual event was a great way for current and incoming students to get to know the school clubs, sports, and academics that are offered. Booths managed by different campus clubs hosted games, activities, and snacks for attendees to enjoy like candy apples, cotton candy, hot chocolate, face paintings, bottle toss, and more. 

Club booths consisted of Class Council of 2023, 2025, and 2026, ASB, Renaissance, Link Crew, AVID, Yearbook, UNICEF, GEO club, Art Club, National English Honors Society, National Honors Spanish Society, Culinary Arts, AFJROTC, E-sports, and Society of Music.

The Aquatics program had a dunk tank for attendees to test their strength by attempting to dunk staff members into a tank of water. Principal Dr. Charles Park was one of the many volunteers as well as Dance teacher Andrea Williams, Math teacher Corey Tello and many more staff for the tank.

Academic departments showcased their courses to show attendees what the school has to offer. English, Social Science, Math, World Language, and AP (advanced placement) were some of the booths present in the T-building plaza. 

Performing arts and athletic departments were also showcased such as theater, choral, dance, drumline, colorguard, and cheer/stunt, wrestling, basketball, softball, baseball, and volleyball.

The art department presented an art show in the T-building. Other programs and subjects such as photography, science, BNN/digital media, robotics, and CADD were also available for parents and students to explore. 

Three different food trucks were available for families and students to enjoy. Backi Yaki, Pmb (Patty Meets Bun), and Birrieria El Patron 818. Small businesses such as Sweet Freckles, Rawberts Acai, and Kettle Popcorn were in attendance 

A free photo booth and a 360 photo booth was available for families and friends to capture their memories at this event. 

Current students who had a minimum 3.0 GPA last semester received Honor Roll certificates and took photos in front of honor roll-themed backdrops. 

Several parents enjoyed the event because of the fact that they were able to get to know teachers and to see their student’s work.

“I definitely think that this was a good way to intrigue students and parents to come to West Covina High School, it’s exciting to see how many different clubs and classes there are, something for everybody,” said Vanessa Lopez, WCHS parent. 

Please contact WCHS at (626) 859-2900 for enrollment information.