Movie Review: Rampage

Photo courtesy of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros., Wrigley Pictures, Flynn Picture Company

BY DANIEL GASTELUM

Have you ever seen a giant gorilla, giant crocidile, and a giant wolf in the same movie? If you haven’t, go see Rampage. Rampage was released in theatres April 13 and is rated PG-13. The main cast of the movie is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (David Okoye), Naomie Harris (Dr. Kate Caldwell), Malin Akerman (Claire Wyden), Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Harvey Russel), P.J. Bryne (Nelson), and Jason Liles (George).

The movie begins by introducing George, a highly intelligent animal that can communicate through sign language with his friend David Okoye, a man who loves animals more than humans.  Secretly while this is happening, scientists are working on a project involving genetic editing that will enhance an animal’s strength, speed, aggression, and most of all, size. David and George will have to learn to have faith in each other even when it doesn’t seem to be there.

This movie brought to life what no one has seen before. Everything was explained so well for the audience and the main characters of the cast was amazing. I really loved the way the director made the movie feel almost as if it can happen. and in case you weren’t aware of rampage was based of the video game”rampage”. The ending of the story was one of the funniest and saddest endings I have seen in a while, making it a must-see this season.

After the genetic editing, however, some of the characters in the movie felt as if they didn’t even matter to the story and were there just to make it more exciting. I get that you want to make a movie more interesting with exciting characters, but at the same time you have to make them more important to the movie. Though some characters were not as important as they should have been if they deserved a dedicated spot on the cast, I still give Rampage a 4 out of 5 stars for its incredibly smooth editing, interesting cast, and easy-to-follow dynamic storyline.