Student Spotlight: Valerie Escobar

BY ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ

Photo by Ashley Rodriguez

WCHS Dance Drill performed their hardest to win Nationals this year, and Valerie Escobar is one of the dancers that put on a spectacle. Valerie is not committed to dance as her career since she is applying to a university that doesn’t have a dance program.

“Surprisingly, I’m not because the college I want to doesn’t have a dance program. Even though I would like to pursue dance, I don’t think applying it into college,” Escobar said.

Valerie has been in dance since she was 11 years old. She’s been dancing for over 5 years and started dancing for the school program when she came to WCHS. She is planning on doing Dance Drill for her four years of high school.

”I’m really excited to experience school in another place but sad at the same time because I’m going to miss all the high school memories. In college, things are way different from high school,” Escobar said.

Her mom has always been very supportive and has pushed her to keep going and not give up on what she loves and enjoys to do.

“My mom is super supportive, she is just doesn’t like the hours but she says that as long is what I love, that I should keep on doing it,” Escobar said.

Escobar’s major is anesthesiology and she is applying to UCLA, her dream university.

“ team bonding and we go to other competitions so we can see what we are going to be up against and to get and idea of how it’s going to be,” Escobar said.