The Student News Site of West Covina High School

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

WCHS Insight

Hairspray: The Musical Review

BY DORIS MURILLO

The cast of Hairspray the Musical during one of their many song performances. Photo by Adrian Jimenez

This year the Theater Department at WCHS presents us with Hairspray the Musical. Students and staff who participate in this event have put together a lively show for every and anyone to enjoy.

The musical is set in the 1960s in Baltimore with main character Tracy Turnblad, who has always dreamed of being famous on the Corny Collins show where her love interest, Link Larkin is a performer. Though her path to fame is difficult enough because she does not fit the unjust body standards of the time, Tracy is also troubled when she discovers another problem in society: segregation.  

Main characters senior Kenny Moreno as Link Larkin and senior Katelyn Pacpaco as Tracy Turnblad during one of the many scenes. Photo by Adrian Jimenez

WCHS Theater does an awe-inspiring job of portraying the social barriers of the 1960s through the dancing, acting, singing, and the set. It truly showcases all the hours of hard work they have rendered to give the public a stirring show with a powerful message.

There are still available tickets at wcovina.seatyourself.biz for Friday Jan., 26 through Sunday Jan., 28. Hairspray the Musical takes place at the Covina Center for the Performing Arts.