Bulldog Alumni Soars to the NFL

WCHS alumni Sidney Jones was drafted during the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Photo from the Philadelphia Eagles Instagram.

BY ELIJAH LEON

The Official 2017 NFL Draft just ended this past Sat., April 29. The draft lasted over a span of three total days, from April 27 to April 29. Every year, these few days make many players’ dreams come true when they are selected from one of the 32 teams of the NFL to join their team. This year’s draft was not an ordinary draft for people attending WCHS. Former student Sidney Jones IV was in this draft and was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round; he was the 43rd overall pick, which is amazing.

Jones attended WCHS for all four years of his high school career and played a variety of positions. During his high school years, he played running back, wide receiver, free safety, and his current position of cornerback. Jones’ high school coach, Mike Maggiore described Sidney as “a great athlete with tremendous potential” and also said he was “an athletic play maker.” Jones was an all-star during these years. He graduated as a part of the Class of 2014 and committed to the University of Utah, but later changed his mind and committed to the University of Washington where his football career blossomed.

Jones made an immediate impact at the University of Washington. He started 12 of 13 games in his freshman year and had a total of 61 tackles, two interceptions, and one sack. His next few years at the University of Washington were just as good, if not better. He grew to be one of the top cornerback prospects coming into the NFL draft. Jones decided to skip his senior year at Washington and join the NFL Draft.

Jones was projected to go in the first round, but unfortunately was injured during Washington’s All Pro Day. He suffered an Achilles tendon injury, which caused him to drop in the draft. This drop was unfortunate for Sidney, but he was a steal for the Philadelphia Eagles who got first round talent in the second round.

Overall, Jones’ future in the NFL should be great. It will be a tough road considering he will be faced with elite receivers, but he has overcome many obstacles before. There is no doubt in my mind that he will thrive in this league and become the elite cornerback he is projected to be.