Player Profile: Delaney Tate

img_0616
photo by Jocelyn Mendoza

BY JOCELYN MENDOZA

Throughout this girls volleyball season, freshman Delaney Tate has proven to be a very valuable and reliable player for her varsity team. With her powerful attacks and quick digs, Tate has made countless points and wins this season; her skill level surpasses her grade and makes her on par with her senior teammates.

“I got introduced to volleyball by my mom because she played in college and my sisters have been playing since I was first born,” Tate said, “I knew it was the sport for me because I just feel like volleyball gives me a feeling that no other sport does, and I feel like I can go places with this sport, . . . Volleyball is my passion.”

Tate has been playing volleyball for five years; when she discovered that she had made the varsity team, she was overwhelmed with joy, but was also worried for how the team would welcome her.

“I was excited, but at the same time I was a little nervous because I would be playing with older girls and sometimes they don’t always take you seriously; but it all worked out fine,” Tate said.

Tate strives for athleticism and her goals motivate her to play harder. Not only does she wish to win awards and higher titles, but she dreams of making it to the Olympics.

“My goals in the future are to go to a Division 1 school for volleyball, grow a little more, and have a good job,” Tate said.

Tate’s family has had a very large influence on her volleyball journey; her biggest supporters are her family and coaches. She is inspired by her sisters and is motivated to outperform them. Furthermore, from her family she has learned to always stay positive and not overthink her mistakes.

“I always just try to stay positive because nothing will work if you’re not happy with the way you’re playing or how your team is doing,” Tate said, “I tell myself not to get down on myself because I play volleyball because it’s fun and I love it, not to make me feel upset and pressure me.”

From this season, Tate will remember her teammates and the opportunity to play a new position. She has deepened her knowledge of what traits are needed to be successful in volleyball.

“In volleyball, I think you should be confident, a team player, aggressive, positive, loud, and intense,” Tate said.